Avalanche Skills Training 1 - Whistler
- Duration: 2 Days
Become an avalanche expert with Mountain Skills Academy & Adventures!
This two day, industry-leading AST1 course is an introduction to avalanche rescue skills and the principles of safe travel in the backcountry. After a day of class and a day in the field, you will learn what gear you need and how to use it, how to read terrain, and how to rescue a buried companion. The course is tailored exclusively for skiers and snowboarders who want to safely venture outside of the ski-area boundary or who are interested in heading into the backcountry.Important Information
- Avalanche safety equipment required (transceiver, shovel, probe)
- Lift ticket required (backcountry lift ticket available through our office - non-refundable)
- Touring skis or splitboard required.
- Geared for intermediate, advanced and expert skiers or snowboarders. Beginners to backcountry skiing and splitboarding are encouraged to try our 1 Day Intro to Backcountry Skiing Touring and Splitboarding course.
- Participants must be comfortable and confident in intermediate terrain [blue runs] in a variety of snow conditions. If you are unsure of your ability, please contact us for more information.
- Participants should be at least 16 years old to participate in a public course. Please let us know if you or someone in your group is younger than 16 years old.
- Geared for those who want to explore the backcountry
- Be prepared for a full day of skinning up and skiing down!